This list of knitting books online will help you to learn knitting and find free knitting patterns, including vintage patterns to practice on.
Here is your guide to 14 hard to find vintage knitting books online.
Just click on the book title and a new browser window will open to access the book.
1. Cro-Knitting (1914) Ulmann, Bernhard & Co. New York
Looking for vintage knitting patterns for babies and adults? This is an an excellent book with good illustrations, 56 pages.
2. Handbook of Wool Knitting and Crochet, (1918), Anonymous
A dependable source for basic knitting and crochet lessons along with plenty of patterns, including patterns for baby clothes and bonnets. Great illustrations and black and white photo images of finished pieces, approx. 80 pages.
3. How to use Florence knitting silk, (1885), Nonotuck Silk Company
If you are looking for unusual vintage knitted lace patterns and patterns for mittens, socks and purses, this book is worth to browse through, 88 pages.
4. Khaki knitting book, (1917), Whiting Olive ed.
Great vintage patterns from socks, mittens, sweaters, to hats. 64 pages.
5. Knitting, Crochet, and Netting, with Twelve Illustrations, (1846), Pub.by S. Knights
The book covers a good selection of knitting, crochet and netting patterns with few demonstrations but detailed descriptions, 93 pages.
6. Lion yarn book, (1920) Lion Yarn Company, Lion Yarn Co
This booklet contains unusual vintage knitting patterns for all ages. Photographs of finished garment pieces are also included, 20 pages.
7. The Art of Knitting, (1892) Butterick Publishing Company
It can be said that some knitting patterns are ageless; This book has a good number of "fancy" stitches that are well illustrated and described. There is also a chapter on the general rules for knitting mittens, socks and stockings, hoods, capes, shawls and jackets, sweaters, belts, scarfs, hunting caps for men, and a good number of patterns for children's knitted garments, and a few purses, 154 pages.
8. The Columbia book of the use of yarns, 5th ed., (1904), Horstmann, Wm. H., company
A good source for knitting and crocheting patterns and illustrations. Excellent detailed illustrations, 126 pages.
9. The Columbia book of yarns, 17th ed. (1916), by Schumacker, Anna
Interesting to see how the two editions differ, the 17th edition has more detailed illustrations and off course, lot more patterns including hats, mittens and other knitted and crocheted items, 248 pages.
10. The ladies' guide to lace patterns, (1884), [Niles, Eva M.], [from old catalog]
An incredible collection of lace knitting patterns, no illustrations but great descriptions, 80 pages.
11. The Priscilla baby book, (1915), Barsaloux, Elsa Schappell
Adorable crochet and knitting patterns for babies, well illustrated, 40 pages.
12. The Priscilla knitting book, (1912), Keys, Gwen. [from old catalog]
The book contains patterns for men and women and babies articles, well illustrated, 54 pages.
13. The Sunlight book of knitting and crocheting, (1915), Gray, Adelaide J
The book takes you through from basic to advance crochet and knitting stitches, with ample illustrations and great patterns, 176 pages.
14. Utopia yarn book on crochet and knitting; (1919), Barsaloux, Elsa Schappell
A practical treatise on knitting and crocheting, marvelous illustrations and great patterns, 112 pages.
Go ahead, try your hand at knitting. Let me know if you find this list of knitting books online useful to get you started
Have any left over yarn? Why not try your hand at crocheting? Check out this 29 Free Crochet books online to get some ideas.
Hope you found the above useful. Which one did you like the best? Leave a comment below and share with your friends.
Mad about research and passionate about all types of Needlework. Determined to bring you the best!
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new window. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.